The LWV Annual Meeting was held June 4, 2013, at the home of Nancy Ciarleglio in West Haven. The proposed budget for the year was approved. Bylaw changes were approved at the annual meeting in June 2011. Election of Officers was held.
Following our theme of hearing from agencies that enhance the quality of life in New Haven, three Regional Luncheons were held in the fall of 2012 and three were scheduled in the spring of 2013 at the Graduate Club, New Haven:
- September: Bonita Grubbs, Director of Christian Community Action October: Senator Toni Harp, Chairman of the State Appropriations Committee
- November: David Cicarella, President of New Haven Teachers Union
- March: cancelled due to bad weather
- April: Judge Brian Fisher, New Haven Juvenile Court System
- May: rescheduled- Esther Massie, Executive Director of LEAP, Inc.
- President Tina Doyle instructed staff at three institutions regarding methods for running their voter registration drives:
- CT Mental Health Center
- Albertus Magnus College
- Fair Haven Community Health Center
- LWV Board members monitored six New Haven Housing Authority Resident Council Elections, giving us $600.00.
- We covered both the State primaries and the Presidential election reporting for the Associated Press (AP), a good fundraiser for the League.
- The LWV of New Haven Board decided not to publish 2013 Directories of Public Officials, because November 2012 election resulted in very few material changes to local officials. We plan to publish 2014 Directories of Public Officials for New Haven and West Haven following elections in November 2013.
- Two Board members attended the LWVCT Conference on Food for the Good of CT.
- Two Board members attended the SIR Conference titled "Water, Water, Everywhere."
- Assistant Secretary Patricia Thurston has set up a Facebook page for our local chapter of the League.
- LWV New Haven League supported enacting stricter gun control laws by the State this year. We also supported expanding use of absentee ballots.
- Board members Tina Doyle and Patricia Thurston attended the LWVCT Convention held at the Graduate Club, New Haven on June 1, 2013. LWVUS President Elizabeth MacNamara spoke about all the successes the LWV Leagues are having Nationwide. The other speaker, Anne Yurasek, explained methods needed to use Social Media for publicity for our League and so gain more members.